Saturday, October 09, 2004

Bewildered already

Hm...seems I just wasted about 45 minutes doing things that had no effect. Wonder how these templates update...no response yet, that's for sure.

Anyway, a small word about the title of this weblog. Seems every weblog has to have some sort of smart, boheme-like name which preferably has several connotations and hidden messages. And is very haiku, if possible. This observation really put me to the test, since I'm not really well at home with classical literature - and to me it seems that this is sometimes a prerequisite if you want to be really up there, quotewise.

I then took a look at what I would deem classical literature and realized, that I needed to quote either Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett or some obscure Monty Python sketch. Pterry is probably my all time favorite author (judging by sheer quantity of readings anyway), but I eventually settled for a catch phrase from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Well, actually the real quote was a bit different when I finally got around to checking the books. Nevertheless, the name of my blog is derived from this quote:

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.


I've always remembered this sentence - for some odd reason. The pun itself is surprising because of the negation at the end. Then there's the odd comparison of ships in the sky and bricks. Most of all, I just think it's great because it fucks up your mental reading mode. It's like a semantic hiccup when you come across it.

Also, I like the duality of the expression - flying high on life and at the same time chilling like a brick. :)

No comments: